I’m always in search of great pizza recipes and I think I found one in Tina Hu’s kale and Lemon Pepper Chicken Pizza recipe. I found this recipe over at her blog Just Putzing Around the Kitchen. After you check out this sample of what Tina does on her blog, go over to Putzing Around and follow her.
Both the Pioneer Woman and the Crumbly Cookie assured me that their favorite pizza dough is at its best the longer it’s kept in the fridge, so I took their advice and let the second half of my dough chill for a few days. I didn’t have the patience to wait 3-4 days, but I figured that two days was plenty, so I pulled the dough out of the fridge today for another round of pizzas.
Now that I know what kale is, I’m eager to work it into my vegetable rotation. I bought a big bag of it at BJs the other day, but have been kind of at a loss as to what to do with it. I mean, I ate it bunch when I was younger, but I’m pretty sure my parents just sauteed it and served it with rice. Sauteed kale is delicious, of course, but there’s gotta be more you can do with it, right? Toss it onto a pizza with chunks of tangy, savory lemon-pepper chicken, for instance?
Man, when I tell you this pizza was delicious…you really need to take my word for it. The dough, which had become even more malleable with a few extra days in the fridge, was perfectly tender and chewy, and had a smoother and more uniform consistency/texture than my last batch. The saltiness of the sauteed kale complemented the tangy-peppery-ness of the chicken, and in the absence of sauce, the gooey melted mozzarella was the deliciously fatty glue that held it all together. Nom nom nom!
Kale and Lemon Pepper Chicken Pizza Recipe
Ingredients: (makes 3 personal pizzas)
– 1/2 of the pizza dough from the Pioneer Woman’s recipe
– 3 tsp olive oil + more for greasing baking pans
– 2 cups kale, chopped
– 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
– 1 chicken breast
– 1/4 cup lemon juice
– Salt/pepper to taste
(1) Preheat oven to 500.
(2) Grease two baking pans with olive oil, making sure entire surface is coated in oil.
(3) In a pan, cook kale on medium-high heat with a dash of salt until leaves are just wilted. Set aside.
(4) Cut chicken breast into strips, and season each side with salt and lots of pepper. Soak chicken strips in the lemon juice for about 10 minutes. Cut into bite size pieces, then set aside and start prepping the pizza dough.
(5) Cut dough into 3 pieces. Take one piece of dough, lightly flour both sides, and then stretch and smooth into the desired shape/thinness. Do this with all three pieces. Please stretched dough into baking pans. (I used a 13×9 cake pan + 9×9 square pan)
(6) Spread 1 tsp on the surface of each pizza.
(7) Divide 1 cup mozzarella between 3 pizzas.
(8) Divide cooked kale and chicken bits between 3 pizzas, spreading them evenly on top of the mozzarella.
(9) Sprinkle remaining cup of mozzarella between 3 pizzas, on top of the chicken/kale mixture.
(10) Bake for 8 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly.
See the original Kale and Lemon Pepper Chicken Recipe by clicking here..